Medication Therapy Management
More and more pharmacists are coming out from behind the counter and offering additional services to their patients. One I would like to highlight is medication therapy management (MTM). MTM is typically a sit down (can also be a phone call) with a pharmacist. MTM is a range of services provided to patients to optimize therapeutic outcomes (help patients get the most benefit from their medications) and detect and prevent costly medication problems.
· A review of all medications prescribed by all prescribers providing care to the patient, and any over-the-counter and herbal products the patient may be taking to identify and address medication problems. Problems may include medications not being used correctly, duplication of medications, unnecessary medications, and the need for medication(s) for an untreated or inappropriately managed condition
· In-depth, medication-related education, consultation, and advice provided to patients, family and/or caregivers to help assure proper use of medications
· Collaboration with the patient, physician, and other health care providers to develop and achieve optimal goals of medication therapy.
MTM encourages patients to be active participants in their health care, empowering them to be more knowledgeable about and responsible for their health and medication use. MTM services facilitate a more effective partnership among patients, their pharmacists, physicians, and other health care providers to achieve optimum medication therapy results.
MTM services contribute to the safe, appropriate, and effective use of medications and offer value by:
· Improving the quality of patient care and outcomes (e.g., disease/symptom improvement/resolution, improved adherence, saved lives);
· Reducing health care expenditures (e.g., reduction in expenses associated with physician visits, urgent/emergency care visits and hospitalizations);
· Reducing medication-related adverse events (e.g. improved patient safety).
It is not my intention to plug my employer but for your knowledge Mayo Clinic Health System in Southwest MN has 3 very knowledgeable MTM pharmacists who offer this service.
Of note: Medicare plans offering prescription drug coverage (Part D) and Medicare Advantage are required by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services to offer MTM services. The minimum criteria for plans to utilize when targeting members to offer MTM services: Multiple chronic conditions (2 or 3 conditions) Multiple qualifying medications Likely to incur annual costs > $4000 in 2018
Together we can be a healthier community.
God Bless – Joe Flynn, PharmD